Effective Mass and Energy Bands

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of graphs representing energy as a function of wave vector for the conduction and valence bands of a material. The question of whether it is an energy dispersion is raised, and the concept of momentum being proportional to wave vector is also mentioned. The frustration and request for help from the person asking the question is also expressed.
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/748/64my8.th.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the effective mass. That's trivial. My question is, what are these graphs actually of? The horizontal and vertical axes are not labeled.

Is it an energy dispersion? If so, how come some of the curves are negative? All throughout the book, there is not a single energy dispersion curve with negative branches!

It can't be the effective mass vs K, because the second derivative of E with respect to k is not a parabola. And besides, the question "which band has the higher effective mass" would not make much sense. I know that on the dispersion curve, the narrower bands have lower effective mass. But the negative bands are just throwing me off.

I'm really frustrated. Please help if you can!

Much thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It represents energy as a function of wave vector of the electron. The upper and lower graphs are the conduction and valence bands of the material, respectively. The choice of where zero energy is chosen is arbitrary, really.

also, note that the electron momentum is proportional to the wave vector. this is simply because k = 2pi/lambda, but lambda = h/p, where p is momentum. therefore, k = 2pi/(h/p) = 2(pi)p/h. Or, p = (h-bar)k. So, you could have momentum on the x-axis instead of wave vector, if you like.

Thanks, leright!

What is effective mass?

Effective mass is a concept in solid state physics that describes the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. It is the mass of an electron in a solid material, taking into account the interactions with other particles in the lattice. It is an important factor in understanding the electronic properties of materials.

How is effective mass related to energy bands?

Effective mass is directly related to the shape of the energy bands in a material. In the case of a free electron, the effective mass is the same as the actual mass. However, in a crystal lattice, the effective mass can vary depending on the energy level and direction of motion of an electron, resulting in different energy bands.

How is effective mass measured?

Effective mass is typically measured through experiments such as cyclotron resonance or the Hall effect. These experiments involve applying a magnetic field to a material and measuring the resulting motion of electrons. The effective mass can then be calculated from the experimental data.

Why is effective mass important in materials science?

Effective mass is important because it helps in understanding the electronic properties of materials. It can affect the electrical conductivity, optical properties, and thermal properties of a material. By studying the effective mass, scientists can predict and manipulate the behavior of electrons in a material, leading to the development of new and improved materials for various applications.

Can effective mass be negative?

Yes, effective mass can be negative in certain materials. This occurs when the energy bands have a concave shape, resulting in a negative curvature. In these materials, electrons behave as if they have a negative mass, which can have interesting effects on their behavior and properties.